Saturday 20 September 2014

Madeira Seabirds - May 2011

Having a collection of around 30,000 photographs I find myself spending my occasional spare moment editing, sorting and cataloging my ever expanding library. This is not simply an arduous task it brings back happy memories of trips and great birds. Every so often, when the mood takes me/time allows I am going to post photographs that are either of a great bird or are of those that bring back happy memories. 

I am a massive seabird fan but definitely prefer sitting on a headland to sitting on the deck of a boat. However, from 6th to 10th May 2011 I visited Madeira with Mike Edgecombe, John Gregory and Pete Antrobus, I couldn't resist the chance of three days sea birding plus the island endemics. We booked the trip with Madeira Wind Birds who were very well organised and I would thoroughly recommend using them. We spent the first two days drifting off the north-east coast of Madeira and one day off Deserta Grande, a map of the islands can be viewed here. Here are a few pictures from the trip: 


Fea's Petrel

Zino's Petrel

Cory's Shearwater

Madeiran Storm Petrel

White-faced Storm Petrel

Bulwer's Petrel

Sabine's Gull - Adult summer and adult winter

Others in this photo archive 'series':
  • Cream-coloured Courser here