Monday 9 October 2017

Portland - 7th October

I spent the day at Portland in a strong west wind with frequent blustery showers and thick overcast. I didn't expect to see much but I had the day 'scheduled' and so wanted to continue with my plans. I parked in the main carpark and wandered northwards through the Chalet Fields, along the East Cliff, up to Culverwell, over the Top Fields and down the West Cliffs to the observatory. It was pretty tough going and I saw few birds. The only bird of any note was a Hawfinch which flew overhead in the Top Fields and landed in a Sycamore before flying high towards Culverwell.

I then headed to the Church Opi car park and wandered through the Sycamores at Pennsylvania Castle and although sheltered here there was little to be seen. So I decided to retreat, I stopped at Ferrybridge for an hour or so where there were 780 Dark-bellied Brent and a single Pale-bellied Brent plus 75 Ringed Plover, four Mediterranean Gull and two Bar-tailed Godwit. As I wandered back to the car with Dave Foot a fantastic adult pale phase Arctic Skua flew west through the harbour and over the Chesil Bank.

Arctic Skua - Ferrybridge

Part of the flock of 780 Dark-bellied Brent Goose - Ferrybridge

Days Totals for Portland Bill Area
Swallow - 22 west
Goldcrest - 4 (plus 5 Pennsylvania)
Chiffchaff - 3(plus 2 Pennsylvania)
Blackcap - 6
Stonechat - 2
Wheatear - 3
Hawfinch - 1